Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stamped test piece Flower of Life


I have been making some flat-tipped punches for stamping patterns rather than punching through, the punch used on this piece was made by my father who is an engineer and makes tools and dies, I asked him to make it because it is a concave equilateral triangle which is very difficult to make without proper machinery. I needed this punch because I wanted to try punch out the negative shapes of the flower of life pattern, I normally use a marquise punch to do this, so I asked him to make one that was flat-tipped for stamping and one with a sharp tip for punching through.
I like the way the pattern in the aluminium gets raised, with silver or copper it would be harder to create as it reacts differently and is more dense and rigid than aluminium.

No comments:

Post a Comment