Thursday, August 5, 2010

Stamped Flower earrings.



These earrings are a reflection of the handmade quality which I want to achieve with my jewellery. I have created these earrings using thin silver plate, I used a different alloy of silver containing half the amount of copper, I prefer this alloy as it seems to be whiter in colour and does not tarnish as quickly. If it were not so soft to work with I would love to use fine silver only, as it is in its purest form and it will never tarnish, perhaps if it were thoroughly work hardened it would be stronger, what I really want to achive is and alloy of silver which will never tarnish. Petag is one option where Platinum is added but this would greatly increase the cost to make and price of the jewellery.


I when I created these earrings I kept in mind the flaws found in ethnic jewellery so I tried not to be too careful when I stamped the pattern into the metal. Although I wanted my punching to be fairly neat and accurate I wasn't bothered by it being out of place if I happened to misplace my punch. I also drew the flower onto the metal by hand to ensure a more handmade look and feel, as you may notice each petal is slightly different. Lastly, I used a punch/stamp which I made by hand to create the petal-like edge, I was also not too careful to stamp the edge perfectly by evenly spacing the punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment