Monday, November 1, 2010

Wabi-sabi Leaf earrings



These are silver earrings inspired by Vetkat Regopstaan drawings and asperity.
I designed these earrings for the Vetkat regopstaan exhibition, Vetkat is a Bushman who creates Bushman art, I made these in copper but never used the design and came back at a later stage where I created them in silver. These earrings I feel represent the true aesthetic of Wabi-sabi, according to Wikipedia these characteristics include asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, modesty, intimacy, and the suggestion of natural processes. These earrings remind me of aging leaves, the way in which they curl into a helix spiral as they dry. As explained by Young “Wabi refers to that which is humble, simple, normal, and healthy, while sabi refers to elegant detachment and the rustic maturity that comes to something as it grows old.”

No comments:

Post a Comment