Sunday, May 30, 2010

Seedling



I needed to find a way to portray my Baobab that had the most definition and detail. I came up with the Idea of using a tiny dot punch which enabled me to use intricate patterns and fine lines. When hammered on a polished steel block it makes a shiny bump texture. I then drew a few Baobabs and chose the template that I wanted to work with, the first punched tree looked really good apart from the fact that I found the dots to be too big. I realised there were two factors that lead to this result which is the thickness of the metal and the size of the punch tip. I then rolled the plate thinner and used a smaller dot punch. I also tried punching holes straight through another test piece to see the outcome which was quite interesting but I prefered the stamped texture, I may come back to this at a later stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment