Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vetkat Regopstaan Exhibition, The Baobab


The Baobab is native to South Africa and its beauty has inspired a wide range of arts and crafts. With its characteristic wide trunk and zigzag branches resembling a root-system, the Baobab has become somewhat synonymous with Africa and is sometimes refered to as the upside-down tree.

I took part in an exhibition for an original Khoisan Bushman artist who goes by the name of Vetkat Regopstaan Kruiper, we were asked to design and make a piece of jewellery based around his art work which had a strong bushman rock-art style. One drawing in particular captured me the most which was a drawing of the Baobab. I love the Baobab tree it is my favourite of all tree's especially because it is an African tree and it has many uses such as rope being made from the bark and is also a source of food and water.

The Baobab is also a very visually pleasing tree, I am attracted to the shape and I find something quite mystical and sacred about them, I have to wonder if is not the golden mean at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment